Research into the intellectual ability and aging shows that the more we use our brains, the longer they last. Regardless of a brain’s age, it responds to increased use by developing greater speed, flexibility and durability. Staying mentally fit is fun, too. Follow these tips to get the most from your mind!
- Play Games: card games and board games, from bingo to Scrabble, exercise the mind wonderfully.
- Something New: Discover a hobby, take a course or travel! The stimulation of the new gets the brain into high gear. Reading books exposes the mind to new ideas. Learning to play a musical instrument is a fun brain workout.
- Do It Differently: Try using your non-dominant hand on the computer mouse. The task’s strangeness forces the brain to develop new neural pathways. Dress with your eyes closed. Take a different route to the mall. Challenge the brain to do standard tasks in different ways.
- Exercise: The brain is a part of the body and is strengthened by physical exercise. Regular, moderate effort, such as walking three times a week, reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s significantly.
- Eat, Drink, Sleep: Good nutrition, plenty of water and quality sleep are important for a healthy mind. The brain is 85% water. Make sure the tank doesn’t run dry!