Albertans may also be eligible for financial supports through the federal government:
Employment Insurance sickness benefits (for individuals who are eligible for EI)
• Provides up to 15 weeks of income replacement for eligible Albertans who are unable to work due to illness, injury or quarantine (self-isolation).
• One-week waiting period is waived for people in self-isolation.
Apply for EI: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/ei-regular-benefit/apply.html
Canada Emergency Response Benefit (launching April 6th 2020)
• Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) will provide you with temporary income support.
• The CERB will provide you with $500 a week for up to 16 weeks.
Canada Child Benefit
• Eligible parents will receive $300 more per child with their regular May CCB payment.
GST Rebate Increase
• Provides low- and modest-income Albertans with a one-time special payment in May of up to $400 for single people and $600 for couples.
Eased rules for RRIFs
• The required minimum withdrawal from Registered Retirement Income Funds (RRIFs) will be reduced by 25% in 2020 in recognition of the impact of volatile market conditions on many seniors’ retirement savings.
Edmonton Food Bank
You can call 780.425.4190 (Monday to Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m.) to speak confidentially with a Client Services worker.